After doing one term of accounting in secondary school, Kothes director in Merimbula Simon Byrne, who grew up on a property in Western Victoria, knew the career path he was going to take. A passionate sportsman who competes in triathlons and George Bass surfboat marathons, this father of four is as dedicated to his accounting career as the day he started his first job with Coopers & Lybrand in Melbourne aged 20.
It was a desire to move back to the country which brought Simon to the Sapphire Coast in 1992 to work for Kothes. Four years later he became a director, and after living in the area all this time, he could almost be considered a ‘local’.
Simon follows a few simple rules
- Attention to detail is required for all our work for all our clients
- We need to listen to what our clients are telling us and not make assumptions
- Client confidentiality and respect is paramount
Simon’s tip for businesses
Getting the right professional advice can mean the difference between success and failure
Specialist areas, skills and experience
Simon specialises in Audit and Assurance, working closely with sporting clubs, community groups, registered clubs, aged care, Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commission (ACNC) entities, government and semi-government agencies and indigenous organisations.
- ASIC Registered Company Auditor
- ASIC Self Managed Super Fund Registered Auditor
- Registered Tax Agent
- External Examiner, Law Society of NSW
- Fellow – Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Accredited Quality Control Reviewer for Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Bachelor of Business (Acc) Deakin University
- Justice of the Peace (NSW)
Simon is an active member of the Merimbula and Pambula communties through his role as a Patrol Captain of the Pambula Surf Livesaving Club. He is also:
- Past player and life member of the Merimbula Diggers AFL Club
- Life member of Sapphire Coast AFL
- Member of Merimbula Parkrun